Friday, July 25, 2008

Constant annoyance

Cell phones are a constant annoyance. Having said that, I want a better one that annoys me with reminders and email and can browse the web.
Windows Mobile phones aren't the solution just yet.

I got a Samsung i760 and it was lots of fun to play around with but ultimately the "User Experience" is still kinda crappy.

-The GUI out of the box is sluggish and obtuse
-The phone functions can be a little slow to respond (voice dialing, keypad)
-Windows Mobile is not a "touch" based OS even though it has a touch screen, you need a stylus just like my Palm PDA
-You can customize in a million cool ways but that makes is slower, sometimes unusable
-There is a ton of software for it, some freeware is great
-Having a keyboard is a must, 5 rows preferably so you can get all the numbers and symbols quickly
-A VGA or greater resolution screen is required for web browsing, 320x240 doesn't cut it
-Windows Media Player makes a crappy MP3 playing experience, can be replaced

So I returned it and went back to my ancient Motorola phone, which works perfectly, and my Palm TX PDA which has everything except a decent browser/VGA screen.


I await the HTC Touch Pro around the holidays. It has a VGA screen, better interface, 5-row keyboard, GPS and a million other things.

No comments: